Running FRED on Mac with M- Chips
Running FRED on a Mac PC within a virtualized windows environment is possible, but specifically for the newer M1 or M2 chip sets the following steps must be followed:
- You must use the newer Sentinel type dongle. Key numbers 20000 and higher are Sentinel keys, key numbers smaller than this are older SuperPro keys. Note that for the newer Sentinel keys you can find your key number from Help -> License Authorization, and if no key number is listed in the dialog then you have a SuperPro key. Contact Fredsales@photonengr.com to arrange a swap if necessary, or if you're not sure what license type you have.
- On MacOS, install Sentinel_LDK_Runtime.dmg. Without this MacOS does not recognize the dongle and it cannot be passed through from MacOS to Windows via Parallels.
- On the virtual Windows, run the Sentinel LDK and Sentinel HASP Run-time Environment Command-line Installer for Windows (LDK runtime environment version 8.21 or newer).
- The installer can be downloaded from Thales at: https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm?id=kb_article_view&sys_kb_id=979a4e21db92e78cfe0aff3dbf9619c6&sysparm_article=KB0018319
- Open CMD prompt in Administrator mode, browse to the downloaded file and use the below command in CMD:
- haspdinst.exe -r -fr -kp -fss -purge (Remove Existing RunTime )
- Followed by haspdinst.exe -i -ld (For install Runtime )
- If haspdinst.exe -i -ld throws an error, please use haspdinst.exe -i
After doing the above, the sentinel admin control center (ACC) should be accessible in both MacOS and in Windows and the license can be passed between the two via Parallels. FRED should then work out of the box without any additional changes.
If the error 'CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories' is generated during step 3b then
- use CMD 'pushd <path to the file>' (to create a temporary virtual drive)
- Follow steps 3c,3d,3e, as above
- Then use CMD 'popd' (to delete a temporary virtual drive)